Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dunblane, Laighhills Public Park, Faery Footbridge

Footbridge (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Dunblane, Laighhills Public Park, Faery Footbridge

Classification Footbridge (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Allan Water; Faery Brig

Canmore ID 278944

Site Number NN70SE 196.01

NGR NN 77888 01632

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/278944

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Dunblane And Lecropt
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN70SE 196.01 77888 01632

Formerly entered in error as NN70NE 33.01.

Not to be confused with footbridge over the Scouring Burn at NN 77875 01670, for which see NN70NE 196.02.

F B [NAT]

OS 1:2500 map, 1974.

This bridge carries a footbridge over the Allan Water to the S of Laighhills Public Park (NN70SE 196.00).

The location assigned to this record defines the centre of the structure. The available map evidence suggests that it extended from NN c. 77896 01641 to NN c. 77877 01620.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 16 February 2006.

Activities

Construction (1911)

Faery Brig built 1911. Designed by Considere, early pioneers of ferro-concrete work.

R Paxton and J Shipway 2007

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission from Thomas Telford Publishers.

Project (2007)

This project was undertaken to input site information listed in 'Civil engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' by R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Publication Account (2007)

This elegant ferro-concrete arched footbridge, locally dubbed ‘faery brig’, erected over the Allan Water in 1911

is of the stiffened arch type. It was a bold design for its time and is notable for having been designed and constructed by Considere, early pioneers of reinforced concrete work. The span is 93 ft, the rise of the arch is 11 ft 9 in. and the footway is 4 ft wide. A plate on the handrailing records that the bridge was restored in 1974 by Leitch & Sharpe, consulting engineers, Glasgow; James Grant & Sons Ltd, contractor, Alloa; and B. J. McKay, Burgh Surveyor, Dunblane. Considere’s practice may have influenced the eminent Robert Maillart in his similar design for the bridge at Toss in Switzerland erected in 1934.

R Paxton and J Shipway 2007

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission from Thomas Telford Publishers.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions