Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Upper Harbour, Old Footbridge

Footbridge (19th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Upper Harbour, Old Footbridge

Classification Footbridge (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) River Clyde; Portland Street Suspension Bridge; Carlton Place; Clyde Street Suspension Bridge; Custom House Quay

Canmore ID 277749

Site Number NS56SE 2160

NGR NS 5890 6472

NGR Description NS c. 5890 6472

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/277749

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Glasgow (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS56SE 2160 c. 5890 6472

For present and successor footbridge, see NS56SE 83.

The present bridge (South Portland Street Footbridge: NS56SE 83) was erected to replace a wooden bridge near the same spot which had been built for temporary use while the [old] Broomielaw Bridge (NS56SE 2159) was rebuilding in 1833-5, but was much used until it became unsafe in 1846.

E Williamson, A Riches and M Higgs 1990.

This bridge formerly crossed the River Clyde within the area of the Upper Harbour, between Custom House Quay (to the N) and Carlton Place (to the S). The river here forms the boundary between the parishes of Glasgow (to the N) and Govan (to the S).

The location assigned to this record is derived from that of the present bridge.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 19 December 2005.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions