Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Glasgow, Glasgow Green, Former Polmadie Bridge

Footbridge (20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Glasgow Green, Former Polmadie Bridge

Classification Footbridge (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) River Clyde; Provost Or Fleshers' Haugh; Richmond Park; Rutherglen

Canmore ID 277706

Site Number NS66SW 961

NGR NS 60129 63293

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/277706

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Glasgow (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS66SW 961 60129 63293

For successor and present footbridge (at the same location), see NS66SW 960.

Not to be confused with footbridge carrying the path along the S bank of the River Clyde across the mouth of the Polmadie Burn (at NS 60166 63253), for which see NS66SW 962.01.

Polmadie Bridge [NAT]

OS 1:1250 map, 1954.

Polmadie Bridge. The present footbridge (dating from 1954-5) occupies the site of a wooden predecessor, 4.9m (16ft) wide, built in 1901 (like the predecessor of King's Bridge) with timber salvaged from Glasgow Bridge's service bridge. It was burnt and rebuilt at least once before being replaced by the present concrete structure.

E Williamson, A Riches and M Higgs 1990.

This bridge formerly carried a footpath across the River Clyde between Provost or Flesher's Haugh, Glasgow Green (to the N) and Richmond Park (NS66SW 962.00), Rutherglen (to the S). The river here forms the boundary between the parishes of Glasgow (to the N) and Rutherglen (to the S).

The location assigned to this record defines the centre of the span. The 1954 edition of the OS 1:1250 map suggests that the bridge extends from NS c. 60132 63331 to NS c. 60126 63236. The map was surveyed in 1953, suggesting that the depiction is that of the predecessor bridge; the present structure is assumed to share the location (and presumably the foundations).

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 14 December 2005.

Activities

Construction (1899 - 1901)

William Kennedy, Partick: contractor

Modification (1921)

Damaged by fire in 1921 and modified as a result.

Modification (1939)

Closed.

Project (2007)

This project was undertaken to input site information listed in 'Civil engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' by R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Publication Account (2007)

The former Polmadie Footbridge on the line of the current bridge of 1954-5 (NS66SW 960) had a span at each side of 40 ft flanking two central ones of 60 ft 6 in. using girders 4 ft deep with piers formed of three rows of timber piles. When built from 1899–1901 this bridge, costing £10 076, was enclosed in timbered ornamental work giving it the appearance of an arch bridge. It was opened on 13 June. Polmadie Bridge was partially destroyed by fire in 1921 and new girders supplied for the central spans. The timber arch-work was omitted. It was closed in 1939. The contractor for the 1901 bridge was William Kennedy of Partick and Sir William Arrol & Co. for the 1921 refurbishment.

]R Paxton and J Shipway 2007

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission of Thomas Telford Publishers.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions