Allt Coire Shith
Shieling Hut(S) (Post Medieval)
- Council Perth And Kinross
- Parish Kirkmichael (Perth And Kinross)
- Former Region Tayside
- Former District Perth And Kinross
- Former County Perthshire
NO07SE 42 0979 7303 to 0985 7286
Disposed down the S-facing slope above the Allt Coire Shith there are a series of shieling-huts with accompanying enclosures (NO 0979 7303 - 0985 7286). Brown (1808) depicts the buildings of the abandoned shieling of Rie-na-hiskin, which is probably to be identified with (3). This shieling-ground formed part of the grazings of Gleann Taitneach and Cuthels.
1. NO 0979 7303 Occupying a terrace (about 600m OD) there are the remains of a two-compartment building measuring 5.9m from WSW to ENE by 3m transversely over collapsed walls which have stood at least 0.7m in height; the ENE end has been modified to form a pen. An enclosure 8m to the S measures 8.1m by 7.9m internally.
2. NO 0981 7297 On another terrace (575m OD) there are the well-preserved remains of a shieling-hut measuring 3.9m from ENE to WSW by 3.5m transversely over stone walls 0.6m in thickness and 0.6m in average height in five courses (the door jamb at the E end of the S wall stands 1.5m high). The hut has been built over an earlier building (12.5m from ENE to WSW by 5m transversely over turf- and heather-covered stone wall-footings 1m thick), which has a drainage-trench running the length of the NNW wall; 5m to the NE there is a small pen (1.7m by 1.8m internally).
3. NO 0985 7286 On a terrace (530m OD) at the foot of the slope there are the remains of a hut and, on its SW side, an enclosure. The hut measures 4.9m from ENE to WSW by 3.9m transversely over stone wall-footings 0.7m in thickness; it overlies a building which measures 8.3m from ENE to WSW by 4.3m transversely overall. The enclosure measures 7.9m by 7.1m internally.
Visited by RCAHMS (IMS) 14 June 1988