Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Duncraig Castle, Boat House

Boathouse (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Duncraig Castle, Boat House

Classification Boathouse (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 275744

Site Number NG83SW 31.04

NGR NG 81240 33371

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/275744

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Lochalsh
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Skye And Lochalsh
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Recording Your Heritage Online

Duncraig Castle, Alexander Ross, 1866 Overgrown Scots Jacobean villa with various crenellated towers, superbly sited to command views of the Cuillin and Applecross mountains, and most effective when seen from Plockton, across the bay. Built for Sir Alexander Matheson, it was bequeathed to Ross & Cromarty County Council in 1945 and became a home economics training college. Extended with a discordant Modernist wing in 1969. Closed in 1989, the house suffered more than a decade of neglect before new owners set about its rescue in 2003. Hidden among the policies, various contemporary ancillary buildings include: laundry with louvred cupola, court of offices inscribed 'Fear God, work hard, be honest', boat house, large walled garden and private station stop, with frilly-eaved octagonal hut.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions