Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kyle Of Lochalsh, Douglas Row, 1-10 Douglas Court

Flats (19th Century)-(20th Century)

Site Name Kyle Of Lochalsh, Douglas Row, 1-10 Douglas Court

Classification Flats (19th Century)-(20th Century)

Canmore ID 275727

Site Number NG72NE 98

NGR NG 76100 27523

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/275727

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Lochalsh
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Skye And Lochalsh
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Recording Your Heritage Online

Main Street, formerly approached from the north, with the Scots revival Royal Bank of Scotland (formerly the Commercial Bank), Sydney Mitchell & Wilson, 1895-6, vying for attention with the solidly gabled and mullioned Bank of Scotland and Post Office, Ross & Macbeth, 1904. Ascending the Plock, at Hamilton Place, Maine-style timber-clad housing, c.1940, No 2 still with its original horizontal clap-boarding. Nicholson Court, Heathmount Road, Robert Hurd & Partners, 1966-9; modernist-vernacular scheme for three tower blocks, modified to one tower and lower blocks of terraced housing to cope with exposure of elevated site. This tower theme is echoed on the edge of Douglas Park (opened 1957), with Douglas Court, Frank Burstow of Hurd Rolland Partnership, 1990. Sensible 1960s housing for Ross & Cromarty County Council ascends Cnoc Terrace in gabled pairs. Above is Langlands Terrace, Hurd Rolland Partnership, 1988.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions