Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Warriston Road, Warriston Road Cemetery Extension

Cemetery (20th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Warriston Road, Warriston Road Cemetery Extension

Classification Cemetery (20th Century)

Canmore ID 275142

Site Number NT27NE 154.01

NGR NT 25303 75808

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/275142

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27NE 154.01 25303 75808

INVENTORY OF GRAVEYARD AND CEMETERY SITES IN SCOTLAND REFERENCE:

N.B. This reference applies collectively to NT27NE 154.00 and NT27NE 154.01

Address: Warriston Cemetery, Warriston Road, Edinburgh

Postcode: EH3 5NE

Status: Not known

Size: Cemetery: 5.85 hectares, 14.45 acres; Cemetery Extension: 2.39 hectares, 5.92 acres

TOIDs:

Number of gravestones: Not known

Earliest gravestone: Not known

Most recent gravestone: Not known

Description: Public cemetery opened 1842, extended 1905

Data Sources: OS MasterMap checked 20 September 2005

Site Management (17 February 2009)

Northern extension to original Warriston Cemetery, part of irregular-plan cemetery with terrace, steps, serpentine paths, river-side walk, catacombs and neo-Tudor bridge, containing important architectural and sculptural monuments, including memorials to several illustrious citizens.

Founded in 1842 by the Edinburgh Cemetery Company (of which James Peddie WS, brother of John Dick Peddie, was a director), and known as The Edinburgh Cemetery, Warriston was one of a number of commercial cemeteries laid out in the mid 19th century by David Cousin. The Prospectus explains that 'the spread of education, and the dissemination of works of art and science... have led all classes to desire that the style, situation and the whole arrangement of Public Burial Grounds should be improved.' 'To the advantage of ground admirably adapted for the purpose, and laid out in a pleasing and appropriate manner,' were to be added 'greater facilities for all classes, especially the Poor,' and 'reduced expenses.'

A mortuary chapel (demolished by 1930) for the use of the Episcopalian community (for which drawings are in the Peddie and Kinnear archive in NMRS) was erected on the terrace above the catacombs. Drawings in the Peddie archive in NMRS indicate that the steps from the terrace in the SE corner were also designed by Peddie. (Historic Scotland)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions