Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kinross, Turfhills

Military Camp (20th Century)

Site Name Kinross, Turfhills

Classification Military Camp (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Balado Bridge Airfield

Canmore ID 274701

Site Number NO10SW 137

NGR NO 1079 0286

NGR Description Centred NO 1079 0286

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/274701

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Kinross
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Kinross-shire

Archaeology Notes

NO10SW 137 centred 1079 0286

A large military accmmodation camp has been identified from RAF WW II and postwar vertical air photographs (NLA 71, 4052-4054, flown 9 September 1943 and CPE/Scot/UK 290, Pt.III, 5198-5199, flown 2 September 1947). The camp was situated imemdiately N of the A97 where it leaves the M90 via a roundabout. The area occupied by the camp has now been built over by a service station, falconery and information bureau.

The 1943 air photographs only show part of the camp which may have been constructed originally to house personnel from Balado Bridge airfield (NO00SE 26.00). A large number of small huts can be seen along with several Nissen type, many of which have been camouflaged. In addition a small shooting range situated on the N side of the camp and various sports fields can also be seen.

The 1947 air photographs show the full extent of the camp including a group of Nissen huts immediately W of the railway junction station for Kinross and another smaller group to the S of the A97.

More recent aerial photography (All Scotland Survey, 51888 109-110, flown 14, 18 June 1988) shows that the area fomerly occupied by the camp has had a modern service station built over the southern half. However, some hut bases are visible on the 1988 photographs.

Though the camp may have been used by personnel from the nearby airfield, the size would suggest it provided accommodation for other units and it has been suggested that it possibly was used to house Polish Troops, during and after the war.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), September 2005

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions