Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Linlithgow, Station Road, Wellbank

Term Pending

Site Name Linlithgow, Station Road, Wellbank

Classification Term Pending

Canmore ID 274687

Site Number NT07NW 265

NGR NT 00393 77004

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/274687

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Lothian
  • Parish Linlithgow
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District West Lothian
  • Former County West Lothian

Recording Your Heritage Online

Ross Doocot, Learmonth Gardens, 16th century

Built by the Barons Ross of Halkhead, probably on the tail rig of their lodging. A circular beehive doocot, its thick rubble walls contain 370 nesting boxes, bound by three projecting rat-courses, rather like stringcourses. Recent lantern on top. Gardens commemorate Alexander Learmonth, Provost of Linlithgow, 1802-7. Wellbank, c.1850, is a pleasant cottage framed by two sets of three square chimneys, and a pedimented skewputt.

Taken from "West Lothian: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Stuart Eydmann, Richard Jaques and Charles McKean, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions