Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Johnstone Castle, Johnstone Castle Camp, German Working Camp No. 188

Prisoner Of War Camp (20th Century)

Site Name Johnstone Castle, Johnstone Castle Camp, German Working Camp No. 188

Classification Prisoner Of War Camp (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Willow Drive; Elm Drive; Johnstone Castle Policies

Canmore ID 273038

Site Number NS46SW 16.02

NGR NS 4330 6240

NGR Description Centred NS 4330 6240

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/273038

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Renfrewshire
  • Parish Paisley (Renfrew)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Renfrew
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Archaeology Notes

NS46SW 16.02 centred 4330 6240

A German Working prisoner-of-war camp noted in R J C Thomas, Project Report (Twentieth Century Military Recording Project, Prisoner-of-War Camps [1939-1948]), National Monuments Records Centre, English Heritage, July 2003 has been identified from a vertical air photograph (106G/Scot/UK 140 [Pt.II], 5167-5168, flown 3 July 1946), in an area to the NE of Johnstone Castle (NS46SW 16.00).

The camp, built within the former estate grounds, forms an irregular rectangle between the Castle and the Kings Road to the E. It is bounded by a single perimeter fence and visible on the photographs are at least 155 huts of different types. There are a further 26 huts outside the perimeter fence, presumably for staff accommodation. Entrance to the camp was from the Beith Road.

The camp has been completely removed as postwar housing developements, mainly Elm Drive and Willow Drive have been built over the site.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), July 2005

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions