Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

East Cult

Cup Marked Stone (Prehistoric), Standing Stone(S) (Prehistoric)

Site Name East Cult

Classification Cup Marked Stone (Prehistoric), Standing Stone(S) (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Standing Stone

Canmore ID 27127

Site Number NO04SE 2

NGR NO 0725 4216

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/27127

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Caputh
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO04SE 2 0725 4216.

(NO 0725 4216) Standing Stones (NR)

OS 6" map, Perthshire (1959)

For possible stone circle nearby, see NO04SE 27.

For nearby (destroyed) cairn, see NO04SE 4.

A group comprising two standing stones, 6'7" and 9' in height, and a recumbent cup marked stone bearing 115 measurable cups, situated W of East Cult farm.

Surveyed by Allen in 1881, and Coles c. 1908. Coles suggests that the stones may originally have been part of a circle some 78' in diameter.

J R Allen 1881; F R Coles 1908

Two standing stones and a prostrate cup marked stone generally as described and planned by Coles (although his N arrow is wrong). There is now no evidence for them being the remnants of a stone circle. The cup marked stone is weathered but Coles's sketch appears to be more accurate than Allen's. All three stones are scheduled. To be revised by field surveyor.

Visited by OS (ISS) 17 January 1974

There are a pair of standing stones and a cup-marked boulder on the crest of a broad ridge to the W of East Cult farmhouse. The W stone stands to a height of 1.8m and the E stone to 2.15m. The cup-marked boulder, which may once have stood upright, bears one hundred and thirty plain cupmarks (up to 110mm by 40mm) and a dumb-bell on its upper surface, and three cup-marks on its E face.

Visited by RCAHMS (JBS) 8 October 1986.

Activities

Field Visit (6 August 1942)

This site was included within the RCAHMS Emergency Survey (1942-3), an unpublished rescue project. Site descriptions, organised by county, vary from short notes to lengthy and full descriptions and are available to view online with contemporary sketches and photographs. The original typescripts, manuscripts, notebooks and photographs can also be consulted in the RCAHMS Search Room.

Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 10 December 2014.

External Reference (14 September 2015)

This location is noted on Pont's Map as "Standingstone" (Pont 25).

Information submitted to RCAHMS (SIH) via email by a member of the public, 14 September 2015.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions