Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tullybeagles Moor

Kerb Cairn(S) (Prehistoric)

Site Name Tullybeagles Moor

Classification Kerb Cairn(S) (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Strath-head; Strathhead

Canmore ID 26999

Site Number NO03NW 7

NGR NO 0128 3619

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2023.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Auchtergaven
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO03NW 7 0128 3619

(Centred NO 0128 3619) Stone Circles (NR)

OS 6" map (1901)

Two stone circles at Tullybeagles, situated c.7' apart.

Circle 'A', c.27' diameter, consists of 10 stones, the majority prostrate; but c.1880 those marked 'b, c and d' were standing.

The adjacent circle 'B' is c.24' diameter, and may have formerly consisted of 13 stones, one of which, near the NE, is now missing.

F R Coles 1911

NO 0128 3619 and 0129 3619. These two stone circles are generally as described and planned by Coles. The W circle now consists of fallen stones formerly set in vertical position, whereas the E circle appears to have been composed of stones set horizontally.

Re-surveyed at 1/2500

Visited by OS (WDJ) 13 March 1969

As described in previous field report.

Surveyed at 1:10,000.

Visited by OS (BS) 6 October 1975

These "stone circles" are noted as the remains of two kerb-cairns by Burl.

H A W Burl 1977

Situated on a level plateau under rough pasture, 'B' appears to be a true kerb cairn, while 'A' may be a stone circle variant.

'A': This disturbed circle comprises five large prostrate stones up to 2.2m long and 1.5m wide and seven partially buried smaller stones. It was possibly oval, measuring approximately 10.0m NE-SW by 8.0m.

'B': Here there are at least fourteen placed stones forming an oval 8.0m N-S by 7.0m E-W (stone centres). It may be graded to the S where two stones, now tilted and 0.5m high, are erected on their sides. The relevance of numerous other earthfast stones both inside and outside the kerb is uncertain.

The interiors of both features are level and there is no evidence of cairn material.

Visited by OS (JRL) 16 March 1979

In August 1989, the Ancient Monuments Inspectorate supervised the moving of stones back into their original positions on cairn 'A' after it had been badly damaged in June 1989.

Information from G Barclay, SDD Ancient Monuments Inspectorate, 21 August 1989.

The western of the two stone circles at Strath-head was accidentally damaged by contractors during the demolition of the adjacent farm steading. All but one of the recumbent or semi-recumbent stones of the circle had been moved. The owner of the site asked that HBM supervise the replacement of the stones at his expense. To avoid futher damage to buried features the stones were moved back approximately to their original positions but left on the surface rather than partly buried or semi-recumbent as before. A fuller illustrated account, with annotated plans has been deposited in the NMRS.

G Barclay 1989.


Field Visit (4 August 1942)

This site was included within the RCAHMS Emergency Survey (1942-3), an unpublished rescue project. Site descriptions, organised by county, vary from short notes to lengthy and full descriptions and are available to view online with contemporary sketches and photographs. The original typescripts, manuscripts, notebooks and photographs can also be consulted in the RCAHMS Search Room.

Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 10 December 2014.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions