Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Halliman Skerries, Beacon

Beacon (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Halliman Skerries, Beacon

Classification Beacon (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Covesea Skerries Beacon; Lossiemouth; Moray Firth

Canmore ID 269775

Site Number NJ27SW 119

NGR NJ 2141 7227

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/269775

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Drainie
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Morayshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ27SW 119 2141 7227

Beacon [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1994.

For closely-comparable structure (apparently built by Alan Stevenson for the Commissioners of Northern Lights in 1847) on East Vows Rock, Firth of Forth, see NT49NE 143.

Although situated on Halliman Skerries, this structure is cited for navigational purposes as Covesea Skerries Beacon. Both the relevant chart and the 1996 edition of the OS 1:50,000 map note Covesea Skerries around NJ 197 719, some 1.7km to the WSW; these latter rocks are unlit.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 6 January 2004.

HO chart no. 223 (1978, amended 1992); Admiralty List of Lights 1980.

Activities

Publication Account (2007)

(Historic Engineering Works no. HEW 2529)

In 1845 a cast-iron beacon, based on the concept of Robert Stevenson’s at Carr Beacon in 1821 in Civil Engineering Heritage Scotland – Lowlands and Borders (R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007, 7-12) but about 40 ft tall, was erected offshore to mark Halliman Skerries (see engraving, page 137). It is still in service.

R Paxton and J Shipway 2007

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Highlands and Islands' with kind permission from Thomas Telford Publishers.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions