Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Helensburgh, Princes Street East, Helensburgh Central Station, Concourse Roof And Platform Screen Walls

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Helensburgh, Princes Street East, Helensburgh Central Station, Concourse Roof And Platform Screen Walls

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Canmore ID 264524

Site Number NS28SE 44.01

NGR NS 29704 82383

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/264524

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Rhu
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Dumbarton
  • Former County Dunbartonshire

Archaeology Notes

NS28SE 44.01 29704 82383

Not to be confused with Helensburgh Upper Station (NS 2997 8328), for which see NS28SE 45.

(Location cited as NS 298 824). Helensburgh (Central) Station, opened 1858 by the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Rly., and rebuilt in the late 19th century. A four-platform terminal station with glazed steel-framed awnings over the platforms, supported on cast-iron columns and brick side walls. The ends of the platforms and the circulating area are covered by an arched overall roof with an attractive glazed screen. The offices are grouped round this in a 1- and 2-storey, U-plan range, with a 4-bay Renaissance street frontage.

J R Hume 1976.

This station is the terminus of the Helensburgh branch and was opened (as Helensburgh Station) by the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Rly. on 28 May 1858, and renamed Helensburgh Central Station by British Railways on 28 May 1955. It remains in regular use by passenger trains, and has been electrified.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 1 May 1998.

R V J Butt 1995.

Photographed in April 2000, by a RCAHMS photographic team, following completion of Railtrack restoration scheme.

Visited by RCAHMS (MKO), April 2000.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions