Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Killiecrankie

Chapel (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Site Name Killiecrankie

Classification Chapel (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Canmore ID 26445

Site Number NN96SW 20

NGR NN 912 628

NGR Description NN c. 912 628

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/26445

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Blair Atholl
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN96SW 20 c. 912 628.

The 8th century Pictish cross-slab, described on NN95NW 29 stood, in 1856, in the ruins of an old chapel, in a wood on the W bank of the River Garry, a mile SW of Killiecrankie railway station (NN 912 628).

J R Allen and J Anderson 1903; J Stuart 1856

No further information. The ruined chapel does not appear on the OS Provisional 6" or 25" and it could not be located on the ground. It is unlikely to be the Tenandry Church (NN 911 615), a 19th century structure.

Visited by OS (MJF) 3 September 1980

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions