Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Inveraray Castle Estate, Cherry Park, Stables, East Range

Farmstead (Period Unassigned), Stable(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Inveraray Castle Estate, Cherry Park, Stables, East Range

Classification Farmstead (Period Unassigned), Stable(S) (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Inveraray Castle Policies

Canmore ID 264396

Site Number NN00NE 30.02

NGR NN 09347 09236

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/264396

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Inveraray
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Activities

Field Visit (June 1988)

This court of offices, which now houses the Argyll Estate Office and a museum, is situated 230m W of Inveraray Castle (No. 184), to which it is connected by an avenue.

Plans for a coach-house and stables, to replace those associated with the old castle (No. 132), were drawn up by John Adam in 1759 and work began in the following year, but only the E range was roofed in when the 3rd Duke of Argyll died in 1761. The 5th Duke commissioned plans for 'alteration and completion' from William Mylne, and these were carried out in 1772 (en.1*). A plan of 1807 by Joseph Bonomi shows proposed two-storeyed additions against the outer walls of the E and S ranges, as well as identifying the existing uses of the rooms, but these works were not carried out (en.2). Further alterations were made in the 19th century and the1960s, especially in the W and S ranges.

RCAHMS 1992, visited June 1988

[see RCAHMS 1992 No. 191 for a full architectural description]

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions