Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Rousay, 'gripps'

Souterrain (Prehistoric)

Site Name Rousay, 'gripps'

Classification Souterrain (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Tratland

Canmore ID 2642

Site Number HY42NW 27

NGR HY 4053 2723

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/2642

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Orkney Islands
  • Parish Rousay And Egilsay
  • Former Region Orkney Islands Area
  • Former District Orkney
  • Former County Orkney

Archaeology Notes

HY42NW 27 4052 2723.

An earth-house was discovered in 1937 in the course of agricultural operatiions, 200 yds SSW of Gripps, and 100 yds from shore. It consists of a passage and a chamber formed by digging a trench in the natural clay, and roofing it with slabs. The sides of the trench have been left unlined and the floor unpaved, but in the chamber, five upright slabs and a rough masonry pillar are inclined against the clay walls and act as supports for the roof. The passage is 12-13 ft long with a maximum height and width of 2ft 9ins and 3ft 2ins respectively. The chamber appears to be about 9ft long by 2ft 9ins high and to vary in width from 3 to 5 ft. A collection of stone implements, fragments of pottery etc. was presented to the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS) in 1937 by G Grant. (PSAS 1938 Donations).

RCAHMS 1946; W G Grant 1939.

This souterrain has been covered over and the field cultivated. There is now no trace of its site but the farmer at Tratland believes it was in the area centred HY 4053 2723. (Information from Mr J F Petrie, Tratland).

Visited by OS(ISS) 9 October 1972.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions