Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Pitlochry, Port-na-craig Suspension Bridge

Suspension Bridge (20th Century) (1913)

Site Name Pitlochry, Port-na-craig Suspension Bridge

Classification Suspension Bridge (20th Century) (1913)

Alternative Name(s) River Tummel; Tummel Suspension Bridge; Pitlochry Suspension Bridge

Canmore ID 26306

Site Number NN95NW 39

NGR NN 94002 57665

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Moulin
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN95NW 39 94002 57665


OS 1:10,000 map, 1989.

(Suspension bridge of wire rope and truss deck type: location cited as NN 940 577). Built 1913. Lattice-girder pylons, wire-rope cables (2 on each side), rod suspenders, lattice truss span, wooden deck. Public footbridge 'erected in memory of Lt. Col. George Glas Sandeman of Fonab, opened by the Marchioness of Tullibardine on Empire Day 1913'.

J R Hume 1977b.

Suspension bridge, Port-na-Craig, 1913. Bouncy public footbridge of lattice-girder pylons, wire-rope cables, rod suspenders, lattice truss span and wooden deck, to replace the ferry: an associated U-plan arrangement of early 19th century cottages remains [to SW]. Erected in memory of Lt Col George Glas Sandeman of Fonab, opened by the Marchioness of Tullibardine on Empire Day 1913.

N Haynes 2000.

This bridge carries a public footpath across the River Tummel on the S side of Pitlochry (NN95NW 80).

The location assigned to this record defines the centre of the span. The available map evidence indicates that it extends from NN c. 93978 57607 to NN c. 94025 57705.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 20 February 2006.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions