Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.



Cairn (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Dunfallandy

Classification Cairn (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 26297

Site Number NN95NW 30

NGR NN 9474 5700

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Logierait
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN95NW 30 9474 5700.

(NN 9474 5700) A large round cairn, turfed over and planted with trees, about 55' in diameter, surrounded by a shallow ditch with a low bank outside it (Feachem 1963). There was a row of upright stones round the mound. They were removed c. 1840 to repair the river embankment (Mitchell 1921).

The cairn is also said to have been partially excavated at some time, when some small cists were found, but destroyed (Dixon 1925).

Childe and Graham (1943) found the top surface disturbed, but no traces of cists. They suggest that the surrounding ditch and bank may represent remains of a ruined stone dyke, added to by field clearance.

H Mitchell 1921; 1923; J H Dixon 1925; V G Childe and A Graham 1943; R W Feachem 1963.

A cairn of earth and stones, slightly truncated in the NE, measuring c. 16.0m in diameter and 2.0m high. There is no trace of the row of stones around it, which may have been a kerb. It occurs not quite centrally within the remains of an elliptical stony bank 3.5m wide still well preserved around the NW half, but scarcely traceable around the SE half, where it is reduced to a platform supplemented by field clearance. It appears to have measured c. 31.0m NW-SE and 28.5m NE-SW between its centres and would seem to be contemporary with the mound, rather than a later tree ring. The appearance of a ditch between bank and mound is fortuitous.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (J B) 17 February 1975.


Field Visit (20 October 1942)

This site was included within the RCAHMS Emergency Survey (1942-3), an unpublished rescue project. Site descriptions, organised by county, vary from short notes to lengthy and full descriptions and are available to view online with contemporary sketches and photographs. The original typescripts, manuscripts, notebooks and photographs can also be consulted in the RCAHMS Search Room.

Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 10 December 2014.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions