Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

The Bloody Stone Of Drumfallandy

Knocking Stone (Period Unassigned)

Site Name The Bloody Stone Of Drumfallandy

Classification Knocking Stone (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 26294

Site Number NN95NW 28

NGR NN 9472 5639

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/26294

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Logierait
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN95NW 28 9472 5639.

(Area: NN 949 564) The "Bloody Stone" of Dunfallandy, a cup marked, partly sunken boulder, is situated c. 350 yards SE of the modern mausoleum near Dunfallandy House. The portion above ground is approximately 7' long, 3'7" wide and 2'4" high and features a cup 8" - 9" in diameter at its W end. The name originates from a local story going back some 300 - 400 years.

Possibly a cresset stone (Mitchell 1923).

J H Dixon 1921; H Mitchell 1923.

This stone was removed from NN 9467 5619 to NN 9472 5639 a few years ago by the farmer. It now lies broken in three pieces. From the photograph taken by Dixon (1921), the stone appears to have been a knocking stone and not cup marked.

Visited by OS (J B) 6 February 1975.

Activities

Field Visit (20 October 1942)

This site was included within the RCAHMS Emergency Survey (1942-3), an unpublished rescue project. Site descriptions, organised by county, vary from short notes to lengthy and full descriptions and are available to view online with contemporary sketches and photographs. The original typescripts, manuscripts, notebooks and photographs can also be consulted in the RCAHMS Search Room.

Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 10 December 2014.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions