Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Craigiedun

Stone Circle (Neolithic) - (Bronze Age)(Possible), Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Craigiedun

Classification Stone Circle (Neolithic) - (Bronze Age)(Possible), Township (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 26286

Site Number NN95NW 20

NGR NN 930 595

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/26286

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2023.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Moulin
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN95NW 20 930 595.

A number of stones scattered or heaped at the east end of a small swampy flat at the north end of Pitlochry Golf Course include a monolith ten feet long (a regular parallelogram in Section) believed to have been one of a circle of standing stones - no doubt removed from the adjoining cultivated ground.

J H Dixon 1925.

100 yards W of NN95NW 2 is the ruined village of Craigiedun. Just outside it on the E are several large probable stones, now turfed over, all that remains of a stone circle. The stones were thrown down and dragged a little out of position many years ago to enlarge the arable field.

H Mitchell 1923.

There is no trace of these stones. The footings of the village survive at NN 9294 5947. There are at least eight houses with several small enclosures. Two round boulders 3 and 30 metres N of NN95NW 2, are now locally called 'The Druid Stones', but they appear to have no significance.

Visited by OS (A A) 11 April 1975.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions