Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Chapel Stone

Cross Slab (Early Medieval)

Site Name Chapel Stone

Classification Cross Slab (Early Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Priest's Stone

Canmore ID 26277

Site Number NN95NW 12

NGR NN 91538 59253

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/26277

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Moulin
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

EARLY MEDIEVAL CARVED STONES PROJECT

Chapel Stone, Perthshire, cross-slab

Measurements: H 1.22m, W 0.53m

Stone type: black slate

Place of discovery: NN 9153 5925

Present location: NN 9154 5924.

Evidence for discovery: first recorded in 1912 and moved to beside the road around 1970. Traces of a ruined chapel are recorded up slope from the cross-slab.

Present condition: very weathered, especially the east face, and damaged at the top.

Description

Both broad faces of this slab are carved with a cross in relief, and the top of the stone has a pedimented shape. The side-arms and upper arms extend the full width and height of the slab, and the wide armpits have a double-cusped profile.

Date: tenth or eleventh century.

References: Reid 1912, 392-7.

Desk-based information compiled by A Ritchie 2017

Archaeology Notes

NN95NW 12 9154 5924.

(NN 9161 5904) Chapel Stone (NR)

OS 6" map, Perthshire, 2nd ed., (1900)

A probable 7th century cross-slab locally known as the "Priest's Stone". It is 4ft high and 19-21ins broad. Each face bears a cross carved in relief.

A Reid 1912; H Mitchell 1923.

This stone is known locally by both its listed names, although some old inhabitants insist it is "Priest's Stone". With the creation of the local hydro-electric scheme, the stone has been moved and re-erected at NN 9154 5924.

Surveyed at 1:10,000.

Visited by OS (J B) 20 February 1975.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions