- Council Perth And Kinross
- Parish Blackford
- Former Region Tayside
- Former District Perth And Kinross
- Former County Perthshire
NN91SW 8 9098 1391.
(NN 9098 1391) CASTLE (NR) (Site of)
OS 6" map, (1959)
The old Castle of Tullibardine stood in a field about 150 yards west of the Chair Tree in the Birks of Tullibardine. It was entirely demolished c.1833 and the materials used in local buildings.
T Hunter 1883.
Nothing visible on the ground. Known locally as the site of 'Tullibardine Castle'.
Visited by OS (R D) 27 July 1967.
The National Library of Scotland.
The National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh, contains, among the 'uncatalogued MSS of General Hutton', and numbered 126, vol.1, a view of the South aspect.
Excavation (24 August 2010 - 26 August 2010)
NN 9098 1391 A series of geophysical grids and a limited
number of test trenches were excavated 24–26 August 2010,
on behalf of BBC Radio Scotland, to investigate a theory
that a garden feature, planted in the exact shape of the
Great Michael warship (c1520s) had existed at this location.
The geophysical survey pinpointed the location of the long
demolished Tullibardine Castle. Careful examination of
cartographic records allowed the identification of the garden
canal, shown on Roy’s 1750s map as a low bank and boggy
area to the N of the castle site. This location is traditionally
known as the Great Michael planting; however, its dimensions
far exceed those of 16th-century Carrick and the feature is
considered to be a shallow 18th-century garden canal.
Archive: Connolly Heritage Consultancy and RCAHMS
Funder: Connolly Heritage Consultancy