Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dundee, 31 Trades Lane, Mid Bond

Bonded Warehouse (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Dundee, 31 Trades Lane, Mid Bond

Classification Bonded Warehouse (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) 25, 27, 29 Trades Lane; Bonded Warehouses, Seagate; Watson's Bond

Canmore ID 260628

Site Number NO43SW 983

NGR NO 40571 30497

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/260628

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dundee, City Of
  • Parish Dundee (Dundee, City Of)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO43SW 983 40571 30497

(Location cited as NO 405 304). Bonded warehouses, Seagate. A group of warehouses, dating from the late 19th century. The most attractive is a 3-storey, 5- by 5-bay classical block with rusticated ground floor and rubble upper floors, dated 1868, architect C J Bisset, and the most elaborate a 4-storey attic and basement, 16-bay block in free Renaissance style, built 1897, architect, David Baxter. Others are a 5-storey, 3- by 9-bay, red-brick block with crow-stepped gables and a 5-torey, 7-bay, red-brick block with bands of sandstone through the ground floor and a matching 2-storey, 8-bay office block. Round the corner in Trades Lane are two red-brick warehouses, one 4-storey and basement, 8-bay, and the other 5-storey and basement, 8-bay, both with round-headed openings on the ground floor.

J R Hume 1977.

A complex of multi-storeyed bonded warehouses situated between Seagate, Candle Lane and Trades Lane, and dating from the early twentieth century. In a city noted for its stone buildings, the complex is unusual because of its fine facades of red facing brick from the Cleghorn Terra Cotta Company, Glasgow.

The central part of the complex has been demolished, as have the inner bays of the main buildings, leaving the outward facing brick facades intact, and converting the buildings into flatted dwellings. At the time of visit in August 1995, this process had been completed for the block at 31-5 Trades Lane, but was in progress for the two blocks at 99 Seagate and 2-4 Candle Lane, which had recently been cut through, revealing their internal structure. The Candle Lane block comprised an arrangement of round cast-iron columns supporting wooden beams and floors, with a wooden pitched roof. In contrast, the Seagate block has a ferro-concrete 'Hennebique' internal frame, with re-inforced concrete columns, floors and flat roof. Both blocks have facades of red facing brick, and are to be converted into flatted dwellings. Like the first block in Trades Lane, the new rear elevation is likely to be built using modern polychrome brick.

Visited by RCAHMS (MKO) 30 August 1995.

Architecture Notes

NO43SW 983 40571 30497

Architect: Johnston & Baxter (Candle Lane Bond, now Watson's) after 1906 fire

See also NO43SW 108 40529 30507, North Bond, 99 Seagate

NO43SW 982 40513 30452 West Bond, 2-4 Seagate

NO43SW 984 40582 30479 South Bond, 33 Trades Lane

NO43SW 985 40585 30467 South Bond, 35 Trades Lane

NO43SW 986 40548 30438 Offices, Candle Lane

Collection items B13242 and B13243 have been assigned to this site, but could possibly relate instead to NO43SW 984. It not possible at time of upgrade to verify this (AC 1 July 2004).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions