Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, 486, 488, 490, 492 Dumbarton Road

Shop (Period Unassigned), Tenement (19th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, 486, 488, 490, 492 Dumbarton Road

Classification Shop (Period Unassigned), Tenement (19th Century)

Canmore ID 259710

Site Number NS56NE 4790

NGR NS 55360 66613

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Glasgow (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

482-492 Dumbarton Road, former Downie Place, c.1860

White ashlar tenement over ground-floor shops. Encrusted with window cornice details. Named after the Downie sisters, wives of retailers Wylie & Lochhead, the developers, and perhaps by William Lochhead who was architect as well as cabinetmaker.

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions