Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Gask House, Chapel

Chapel (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Site Name Gask House, Chapel

Classification Chapel (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Alternative Name(s) Gask House Policies; Findo Gask, Old Parish Church; Gask Chapel

Canmore ID 25962

Site Number NN91NE 41.03

NGR NN 99543 18682

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/25962

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Findo Gask
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN91NE 41.03 99543 18682

For present parish church of Findo Gask (NO 0024 2016), see NO02SW 16.

(NN 9954 1868) Chapel on site of Church (NR)

OS 6" map, (1958)

A private chapel built c. 1840 on the site of the old parish church of Findo Gask which was pulled down c. 1800 by Laurence Oliphant, 8th Laird. The first record of family burial in the Kirk of Gask, was of Laurence Oliphant, the first Laird of Gask, who died 22nd July 1632. Name Book 1864; E M Graham 1910.

There are no traces of the old church. The chapel is in occasional use.

Visited by OS (W D J) 18 August 1967.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect: James Gillespie Graham

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Charles Rogers (ed), 'Life and Songs of the Baroness Nairne'

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions