Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Drumlochy

Knocking Stone (Period Unassigned), Cinerary Urn

Site Name Drumlochy

Classification Knocking Stone (Period Unassigned), Cinerary Urn

Canmore ID 25908

Site Number NN90NW 14

NGR NN 9141 0990

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/25908

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Blackford
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN90NW 14 9141 0990.

(NN 9141 0990) Urn found (NAT)

OS 6" map, (1958)

An urn was found here in 1861 by Mr John McLaren of Drumlochey while ploughing. It was about a foot in diameter at the mouth and eighteen inches deep and contained human bones and a handful of white powder. In 1863 it was in the possession of Mr. Drummond of Abercairney.

Name Book 1863.

The find-spot of this urn as indicated on OS 25" plan lies on the south slopes of a large stony knoll, apparently natural. A large, shallow, stone mortar (c.24" x 12") was ploughed up near the find-spot in the summer of 1966 (information from Mrs Stewart, Drumlochy). It now lies in the garden near the front door of the farmhouse.

The incomplete bronze age cinerary urn (rim and collar), 14" in diameter, was found in June, 1861, while ploughing the rising/ rising ground of the 'Keelnow' on Drumlochy Farm, Blackford. It contained human bones which crumbled to dust on exposure.

Donated to Perth Museum by Major J Drummond Moray, Abercairney (Accession no: 232) (information from Perth museum catalogue).

Visited by OS (W D J) 21 June 1967.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions