Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Ogilvie Castle

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Ogilvie Castle

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 25907

Site Number NN90NW 13

NGR NN 9087 0809

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/25907

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Blackford
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN90NW 13 9087 0809.

(NN 9087 0809) Ogilvie Castle (NR).

OS 6" map, (1958)

The ruins of Ogilvy Castle.

NSA 1845.

Sir Alexander Murray of Ogilvy is mentioned c.1391.

W Drummond 1831.

The remains of this rectangular building are in very ruinous condition. The south wall has completely gone; the north, east and west walls, broken and turf-covered, are c.1.2m high, except at the NW, SW and SE angles where the height varies from 1.7m at the SE angle to 3.0m at the NW angle. The interior is choked with grass-covered masonry but the building appears to have been divided into two unequal compartments, the smaller occupying the west end. Local opinion favours the spelling 'Ogilvie'.

Visited by OS (W D J) 21 June 1967.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions