Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Clearance Cairn(S) (Period Unassigned), Settlement (Period Unassigned), Wall(S) (Period Unassigned), Disc(S), Lithic Implement(S), Quern

Site Name Borenich

Classification Clearance Cairn(S) (Period Unassigned), Settlement (Period Unassigned), Wall(S) (Period Unassigned), Disc(S), Lithic Implement(S), Quern

Canmore ID 25880

Site Number NN86SW 6

NGR NN 8450 6009

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2023.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Blair Atholl
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN86SW 6 8450 6009.

(NN 845 600) Dun (NR)

OS 1" map, (1956) sheet No. 48.

A dun about half a mile east of Borenich farmhouse and about fifty yards south of the road, was excavated in 1913. Half of a quern, pieces of iron, bone implements, a spinning whorl and stone discs were found but none of the finds were datable (Watson 1915).

W J Watson 1915.

Generally as described and planned by Watson. The remains are much obscured and rendered virtually inaccessible by trees and bracken.

Visited by OS (W D J) 13 September 1967.

A homestead - see NN44SE 7.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

A Glen Lyon type homestead set into a S-facing slope at NN 8450 6009 within a thick conifer plantation. It survives as a ring of bare stones spread to 5.0m wide in which outer facing stones can be seen in the W and E giving an overall diameter of 18.1m. The interior, occupied by several birches, shows evidence of the excavation. The inner face has been exposed, particularly in the N arc, and a large quantity of excavation debris piled in the centre. It appears that the excavators have rebuilt much of the face (which stands to 1.5m) and the rather irregular present alignment suggest that their reconstruction is in parts off the original course. The entrance passage in the WSW is 3.0m long and 1.2m wide is equipped with two opposing jambs (slabs on edge) 1.8m in from the outer end.

Amongst the trees to the W of the homestead are a few piles of cleared stones and traces of walls suggesting cultivation, but probably of a much later period.

Surveyed at 1:10,000.

Visited by OS (A A) 5 November 1974.


Measured Survey (18 April 2012 - 20 April 2012)

WA Heritage was commissioned by the Forestry Commission Scotland to produce detailed measured archaeological surveys of nine ringforts around Loch Tummel, Tay Forest District. The aim of this work is to inform future conservation management plans for the monuments and to provide an enhanced record of their current condition for inclusion in the Historic Environment Records for each site The survey was undertaken over a period of three days in April 2012. A detailed measured survey of each ringfort (and associated features) was undertaken using a combination of EDM and dGPS equipment. This report includes a series of detailed and annotated measured plans with associated contour survey at 1:100; a series of basic unannotated site plans with topographic hachures at 1:500, an enhanced photographic record and written description of each ringfort.

Information from Oasis (waherita1-127099)


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions