Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Queen's View

Settlement (Iron Age)

Site Name Queen's View

Classification Settlement (Iron Age)

Canmore ID 25844

Site Number NN86SE 3

NGR NN 8631 6010

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Blair Atholl
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN86SE 3 8631 6010.

(NN 863 601) Dun (NR)

OS 1" map, (1956) sheet No. 48.

One of the better preserved examples of the duns of NW Perthshire. It measures about 56' in diameter within a 10' thick wall which still retains several considerable stretches of the lower course of the faces.

W J Watson 1915; R W Feachem 1963.

A homestead, generally as described by Feachem (1963) except that the entrance, with door checks is now exposed in the SW, where the wall is 3.5m thick. The break in the wall shown on Watson's plan is later; the mound near the centre is debris.

Visited by OS (R D) 8 April 1968.

The remains constitute those of a homestead rather than a dun. The site was partially cleared in 1974 by Mrs Stewart and the Forestry Commission, and is being excavated during 1975.

Near circular on plan, the remains measure 24.0m WSW-ENE by 22.7m overall, with the outer wall face preserved for much of the circumferance. The spread of debris suggests the wall thickness of c. 3.0m, but it increases to 3.8m at the entrance in the WSW. The entrance passage is paved and equipped with an unusual door jamb arrangement of three upright slabs, one on the N side and two on the S side. Mrs Stewart (information from M E C Stewart to OS) suggests that it was lintelled. The little excavation yet attempted suggests the interior was not wholly level, and may have been stepped. The gap shown on Watson's plan in the SE is a mutilation.

Surveyed at 1:10,000.

Visited by OS (A A) 2 April 1975.


Field Visit (May 1958)

Dun, Queen’s View

This dun is situated on a comparatively level shelf on the S. slopes below Meall nan Eun at an elevation of 850 feet OD and of 400 feet above the left bank of the River Tummel distant 520 yards to the S. The dun is 360 yards due N of the elevated rock known as Queen's view from the prospect visible to the W from its summit and enjoys an enlarged version of the same view. It is however overlooked from the hillside immediately to the N, while to the E. the land slopes gently up towards a small level platform.

The remains lie in coarse grass in an unplanted strip among woods of conifers. They have been considerably robbed, probably during the construction of a drystone dyke which runs close up on the SE. and also, possibly, for the construction of a house, named Ballintuim on the 6 inch Map, which is situated 270 yards E. of the dun. Nevertheless several stretches of boulders forming the lowest course of the inner face of the wall and more than half of those forming that of the outer face can be seen among the debris, as well as those lining the S. side of the entrance, which is in the An upright slab, now leaning towards the N., which protrudes from the S. side of the entrance, formed one of the door jambs. The dun measures about 56 feet in diameter internally within a wall about 10 feet in thickness.

NN 863 602

May 1958.

Publication Account (1987)

The fort is set on a terrace above Loch Tummel, a more defensible position than many examples, and, although there are now trees to north and south, there is an extensive view westwards along the loch. The major element is the stout stone wall, 3 m to 3.8 m thick, which encloses an area about 17 m in diameter. The entrance, which is on the west side, has upright jamb-stones to support a wooden door.

Information from ‘Exploring Scotland’s Heritage: Fife and Tayside’, (1987).

Measured Survey (18 April 2012 - 20 April 2012)

WA Heritage was commissioned by the Forestry Commission Scotland to produce detailed measured archaeological surveys of nine ringforts around Loch Tummel, Tay Forest District. The aim of this work is to inform future conservation management plans for the monuments and to provide an enhanced record of their current condition for inclusion in the Historic Environment Records for each site The survey was undertaken over a period of three days in April 2012. A detailed measured survey of each ringfort (and associated features) was undertaken using a combination of EDM and dGPS equipment. This report includes a series of detailed and annotated measured plans with associated contour survey at 1:100; a series of basic unannotated site plans with topographic hachures at 1:500, an enhanced photographic record and written description of each ringfort.

Information from Oasis (waherita1-127099)


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions