Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Cupar, Castlebank Road, Jail And Barracks

Barracks (19-20th Century), Drill Hall (20th Century), Drill Hall (First World War), Jail (19th Century)

Site Name Cupar, Castlebank Road, Jail And Barracks

Classification Barracks (19-20th Century), Drill Hall (20th Century), Drill Hall (First World War), Jail (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Ta Centre;cupar Old Prison

Canmore ID 258394

Site Number NO31SE 403

NGR NO 37750 14970

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/258394

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Cupar
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO31SE 403 37750 14970

The building housing the former jail (built 1842), 19th century barracks and drill hall (converted for Scottish Yeomanry about 1890)at Cupar is situated on the E side of Castlebank Road and N of Castlefield House, and is now the Territorial Army Centre.

Depicted on the 1st edition of the 6-inch OS map (Fifeshire, 1856, sheet) and annotated 'jail' and 'airing yard', by the 2nd edition, 25-inch scale (1898) it is annotated 'Barracks, Fife Artillery Militia' and by the date of the 25-inch Revision edition (c.1915), 'Barracks (disused). All structures are within a walled enclosure.

In 1914 the building was the base for "A" Squadron Fife & Forfar Yeomanry and base for "E" Company, the battalion Black Watch.

In the later 20th century the building and site is the Territorial Army base in Fife and is depicted on the current OS digital 1:2500 scale map as T.A. Centre. The building is visible on post-war RAF vertical air photographs, (106G/UK 1385, 6396-6397, flown 9 April 1946) with several Nissen huts within the walled enclosure.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), May 2004; M Osborne 2006; Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 24 June 2013.

Activities

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions