Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Strathgarry

Cup Marked Stone (Prehistoric), Four Poster Stone Circle (Bronze Age)

Site Name Strathgarry

Classification Cup Marked Stone (Prehistoric), Four Poster Stone Circle (Bronze Age)

Alternative Name(s) Strathgarry Farm; Black Castle Of Strathgarry

Canmore ID 25839

Site Number NN86SE 25

NGR NN 8887 6295

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/25839

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Blair Atholl
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN86SE 25 8887 6295.

About 200 yards above the Black Castle of Strathgarry (NN86SE 8) is a stone circle, originally of four standing stones, of which three still remain.

H Mitchell 1923.

The alleged stone circle (at NN 8887 6295) is a 'four poster' formed by a rectangle of four stones measuring c. 4.2m NNE-SSW by 3.0m overall. The largest stone in the W probably stood to a height of 1.5m but is now tilted outwards and is almost prostrate, as is the N stone. The S stone, only slightly tilted, is 0.8m high, and the E stone just protrudes through the turf. The S and E stones face the W and N two respectively. In between the E and N stones a small boulder protrudes through the turf.

Surveyed at 1/10,000.

Visited by OS (J M) 21 March 1975.

Scheduled as Strathgarry Farm, standing stones 910m SW of

Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 22 January 2001.

NN8887 6295 On southernmost stone of Strathgarry four-poster is a cup mark a few inches above ground level and facing into circle.

G Currie 2005

Activities

Note (19 October 1942)

The stones mentioned by Mitchell as being near the 'scooped site' above Strathgarry were not visited due to an oversight. They should be looked for when the County Inventory is made.

Information from RCAHMS (AG) 19 October 1942.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions