Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Bruar Viaduct

Railway Viaduct (19-20th Century)

Site Name Bruar Viaduct

Classification Railway Viaduct (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Struan, Double Bridge; Calvine Viaduct; Bruar Water

Canmore ID 25821

Site Number NN86NW 9

NGR NN 82072 66145

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/25821

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Blair Atholl
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN86NW 9 82072 66145

Location formerly entered as NN 8207 6614.

This bridge was opened in 1863 by the Inverness and Perth Junction Rly, engineer Joseph Mitchell. It is a two-span railway viaduct with a segmental arch over a road bridge and a semicircular arch over a river. The arch rings are of dressed stone and the spandrels of rubble. A later steel-truss bridge has been added and now carries the single-track railway.

J R Hume 1977.

This viaduct was designed by Joseph Mitchell to carry the Inverness and Perth Junction Rly across the Bruar Water, and was opened on 9 September 1863 at a cost of £5,100; it was doubled at the turn of the century when a lattice girder bridge was added along one side, and remains in use.

As originally built, it was of stone, measured 274 ft (83.2m) in length by 55 ft (16.8m) in height and comprised two arches, of 80 ft (24.4m) and 40 ft (12.2m) span respectively. A skew bridge carries the road beneath the railway bridge.

M Smith 1994.

This viaduct carries the Glen Garry portion of the main line of the (Stanley Junction - Inverness) former Highland Rly over the Bruar Water downstream from the Falls of Bruar and about 650m NNW of its debouchement into the Garry Water. The Highland Railway became part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway in 1923, and the line remains in regular use by passenger traffic.

The entire viaduct falls within the parish of Blair Atholl.

The location cited attempts to define the centre of the structure. The available map evidence indicates that it extends from NN c. 82059 66138 to NN c. 82080 66149.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 15 May 2009.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions