Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Victoria Street, 5 - 6 India Buildings

Bank (Financial) (Period Unassigned), Nightclub (Modern), Office(S) (19th Century), Public House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, Victoria Street, 5 - 6 India Buildings

Classification Bank (Financial) (Period Unassigned), Nightclub (Modern), Office(S) (19th Century), Public House (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 257508

Site Number NT27SE 5627

NGR NT 25582 73483

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/257508

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27SE 5627 25582 73483

NT27SE 726 25597 73474 1, 2 Victoria Street, India Buildings

NT27SE 5626 25589 73474 3, 4 Victoria Street, India Buildings

Architect: David Cousin.

Site Management (2 April 2009)

4-storey Scots Baronial and Jacobean office block, curved to street frontage. Wider single-bay gabled entrance bay to left; 5-bay block with gabletted domers flanking centre to left; tall slim 4-stage balustraded tower with bartizans and caphouse to centre; 2 2-bay blocks with gabletted dormers flanking centre to right; crowstepped gabled bay with 2-storey oriel to outer right. Cream coursed ashlar, (coursed rubble to rear).

Built for James Lawson, who also built the adjoining building, now the Fine Art Department of the Central Library designed by John Henderson. Henderson also prepared plans for India Buildings, but after his death the plans were much altered and amended by Cousin. The inscription above the principal entrance reads 'Dominus Providebit.' According to Building News, the gateway in the base of the stair tower was intended for carts. The British Linen Bank had premises in the main block. Victoria Street formed part of Thomas Hamilton's plan for the new Southern and Western approaches to the city and the link to the Grassmarket from the new bridge - Victoria Street. Hamilton was replaced as architect to the Commissioners to the Improvement Act in 1834. The style stipulated by the Commissioners for the new buildings associated with these developments was 'Old Flemish' a variation on Scotch Baronial, drawing heavily on detailing from Heriot's Hospital. Cousin's design is a development of this style. (Historic Scotland)

Activities

Standing Building Recording (29 January 2018 - 3 February 2018)

Headland Archaeology was commissioned by Turley to undertake a programme of historic building recording at India Buildings, 11-15 Victoria Street and Cowgatehead Church to satisfy a planning condition as part of planning application (15/04445/FUL). The photographic and written record focused on the Category A-listed late 19th century office block India Buildings; the Category B-listed Cowgatehead Church built in 1861; and the Category C-listed 11-15 Victoria Street, a late 19th century building with 20th century brick extension at the rear.

Information from Joshua Gaunt (Headland Archaeology Ltd) March 2018.OASIS ID: headland1-309295

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions