Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.


Carse Farm

Four Poster Stone Circle (Bronze Age), Cinerary Urn

Site Name Carse Farm

Classification Four Poster Stone Circle (Bronze Age), Cinerary Urn

Alternative Name(s) Dull; Carse Farm 1; Weem

Canmore ID 25651

Site Number NN84NW 4

NGR NN 8022 4873

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Dull
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN84NW 4 8022 4873.

(NN 8022 4873) Standing Stones (NR)

OS 6" map, Perthshire, 2nd ed., (1901)

A small circle of four stones, three of which, ranging from 4' - 6' high, are still standing. The fallen stone lay across the middle of the circle. The NE and SE stones are cup marked with 17 and 3 cups respectively.

Excavation revealed a pit against the inner face of the NE stone, filled with compacted cremated bone, black earth and charcoal, as well as a collared urn with incised geometric ornamentation.

The socket of the fallen stone was found in the SW quadrant, and the stone was re-erected (Stewart 1964).

F R Coles 1908; M E C Stewart 1964.

Listed as a 'four-poster' by Burl, who suggests it is datable to c. 2150 - 1800 BC.

H A W Burl 1971.

A "four-poster" on a level valley floor. The four stone form a rectangle measuring 3.9m WSW-ENE by 2.7m overall, with the tallest stone in the SE. The cup marks are on the upper horizontal surfaces of the easterly two stones and are as described by Coles.

Surveyed at 1:10,000.

Visited by OS (A A) 26 November 1974.

No change to previous field report.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (J R L) 1 December 1978.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions