Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Edinburgh, 182 Canongate, St John's Close

Tenement (18th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 182 Canongate, St John's Close

Classification Tenement (18th Century)

Canmore ID 255003

Site Number NT27SE 5486

NGR NT 26322 73731

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian


Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association ( set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (3 April 2002)

Low relief carving of a St Andrew's cross with a lion rampant superimposed looking left. Below cross and lion is an inscription. The surface of the cross is textured.

Gordon & Dey were the architects of the 1955 restoration.

Inspected By : A. Taubman

Inscriptions : On panel below cross (raised letters): THIS . BVILDING . NOW . A . PART . OF / MORAY . HOVSE . COLLEGE . WAS / ERECTED . 1755 . RESTORED . 1955

Signatures : None

Design period : Building of 1755, restored 1955

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN1034)


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions