Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 26, 28, 30 Cockburn Street, Scotsman Newspaper Offices

Office (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, 26, 28, 30 Cockburn Street, Scotsman Newspaper Offices

Classification Office (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Anchor Close

Canmore ID 254656

Site Number NT27SE 5395

NGR NT 25805 73676

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/254656

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27SE 5395 25805 73676

ARCHITECT: Peddie & Kinnear, 1859-61.

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (16 August 2002)

Shield: relief of lion rampant, with inscription ribbon above and cascading down sides.

Sign: gilt letters of THE SCOTSMAN on a ribbon in a long horizontal panel with thistles and their leaves at the ends of the panel amongst the ends of the ribbon.

Window pediments: carved reliefs above four second floor windows of (from left to right) a rose and foliage, a thistle and foliage, a thistle and foliage, clover.

The square stone carved with the letters JR is between the first floor central windows.

The Scotsman newspaper was founded in 1817, and its first offices were on the High Street. By 1860 these were too small and, as Cockburn Street was under construction, the newspaper bought a site there. These offices were completed in 1864.

Inspected By : D. King

Inscriptions : On ribbon above lion shield (raised letters): IN DEFENCE

On square stone: JR (entwined)

Signatures : None

Design period : 1860-1864

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0569)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions