Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Ferntower

Cup Marked Stone (Prehistoric)(Possible), Four Poster Stone Circle (Bronze Age)

Site Name Ferntower

Classification Cup Marked Stone (Prehistoric)(Possible), Four Poster Stone Circle (Bronze Age)

Alternative Name(s) Ferntower Golf Course; Crieff Golf Course

Canmore ID 25461

Site Number NN82SE 4

NGR NN 8740 2262

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/25461

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Crieff
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN82SE 4 8740 2262

(NN 8740 2262) Stone Circle (NR) (Remains of)

OS 6" map (1938)

The remains of this stone circle consist of four stones arranged on the circumference of a circle 27 feet 6 inches in diameter, and two stones 27 feet to the ENE. The four stones in the circle vary from 5 to 6 feet in length, 2 feet 6 inches to 5 feet 6 inches in breadth, and 1 foot to 2 feet 10 inches thick. One of these stones, on the SE of the group, bears a modern drill hole and, close to it, a genuine cup-mark about 1 1/4 inches in diameter. One of the two outliers is a standing stone 6 feet 5 inches or 7 feet 9 inches in height and 17 feet 1 inch in basal girth. The other is 6 feet long, 4 feet 9 inches wide and about 2 feet thick.

F R Coles 1911

The remains of this stone circle are generally as described above, except that stone 'A' on the plan has been removed and is possibly that now lying beside the outlier 'E'. The 'cup-mark' on stone 'D' is still apparent.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 19 March 1963

'4-poster'.

Information from H A W Burl, 26 November 1970.

This stone circle is situated on a terrace beside the second fairway of Crieff Golf Course. Three stones of the main setting survive, apparently forming the W, S and E corners of a four-poster stone circle with sides approximately 5.5m long. The W stone measures 1.45m by 1.25m and 0.7m in height, the S stone measures 1.6m by 1.5m and 0.6m in height and the E stone measures 1.3m by 1.1m and 0.7m in height. The S stone has a drill-hole and a possible cupmark on its upper surface. An outlier measuring 1.7m in breadth by 0.8m in thickness and 1.8m in height stands 7.5m to the ENE; at its foot there are two more stones, measuring 1.1m and 1.7m in length respectively, neither of which appears to be set into the ground.

(EARN96 210)

Visited by RCAHMS (SDB) 15 October 1996.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions