Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 537-539 Castlehill, Rear Block To North

Tenement (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, 537-539 Castlehill, Rear Block To North

Classification Tenement (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Sempill House; Semple's Close

Canmore ID 254568

Site Number NT27SE 5339

NGR NT 25444 73547

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27SE 5339 25444 73547

NT27SE 314 25453 73542 537-539 Castlehill, Front Block to S

17th century rear block of three storeys, stair tower to close on E side. Front block early 19th century, three storeys.

RCAHMS 1951.

Semple's or Sempill's Close was named for the mansion at the foot of the close built by a David Brown in 1638, and occupied by Grissel, Lady Semple, widow of Francis, 8th Lord Semple, prior to 1734, when it was acquired by Hugh, 11th Lord Semple. It seems also to have been called Williamson's Close from a house in it owned by Joseph Williamson, advocate, of a family with a penchant for naming their properties humorously. (from Stuart Harris, "Place Names of Edinburgh", 1996, page 559)


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions