Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dargill

Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Site Name Dargill

Classification Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 25443

Site Number NN82SE 22

NGR NN 8592 2004

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/25443

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Muthill
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN82SE 22 8592 2004.

(NN 8592 2004) Standing Stone (NR)

OS 6" map (1901)

The remains of a stone circle between the Crieff-to-Auchterarder road and Dargill Island consist of a squarish block of schist, 7' 8" high and over 16' in girth, and an indistinct mound. Two other great stones were removed in 1909.

F R Coles 1911

The stone has a maximum height of 2.2m and the base measures about 1.4m x 1.2m There is no sign of the other two stones.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 22 March 1963

This large standing stone is situated on the edge of a N-facing terrace in the middle of an arable field about 625m NNW of Dargill farmsteading. It measures 1.5m from N to S by 1.2m transversely at the base and stands 2.4m high. A variety of cropmarks have been observed on air photographs in the field around the stone, including four large pits near the stone and what appears to be a pit-circle to the E (NN82SE 66). The standing stone is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Perthshire 1866, Sheet cvii), but there are no other early references, except that made by Coles (1911) to additional standing stones.

(EARN96 301)

Visited by RCAHMS (PJD) 29 September 1997

FR Coles 1911.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions