Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Southhook Colliery

Colliery (Period Unassigned), Fire Clay Mine (19-20th Century)

Site Name Southhook Colliery

Classification Colliery (Period Unassigned), Fire Clay Mine (19-20th Century)

Canmore ID 254204

Site Number NS33NE 89

NGR NS 3860 3987

NGR Description centred on shafts

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/254204

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council North Ayrshire
  • Parish Dreghorn
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Cunninghame
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS33NE 89 3860 3987

[Erroneously cited as NS 33NW 257]. SOUTHHOOK Colliery

Location: near Dreghorn

Previous Owners: Southhook Potteries Limited

Types of Coal: House and Manufacturing, and fireclay

Sinking/Production Commenced: pre-1947

Statistics Cease: 1948

Average Workforce: 91

Other Details: Southhook was noted for its fireclay sanitary ware, the mine being associated with a large pottery nearby. The works operated until the 1960s, and it is likely that the mine continued to extract fireclay during this period. The brief appearance of the mine in this gazetteer therefore probably reflects a period when coal output prompted a possible takeover by the National Coal Board (NCB). Immediately afterwards (1949 onwards), the mine reverted to 'Licenced Mine' status within the colliery year books.

M K Oglethorpe 2006.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions