Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Braco Castle

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Braco Castle

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 25398

Site Number NN81SW 3

NGR NN 82329 11287

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/25398

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Ardoch
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN81SW 3 8232911287.

(NN 8233 1128) Braco Castle (NR).

OS 6" map (1959)

A tall and very extensive building of four periods. The original fortalice has been a square tower or keep, with a projecting stair-tower, of probably 16th century construction, though possibly earlier. To it was added, towards the middle of the 17th century, an extension to the south, engulfing the stair-tower. Then a large L-shaped extension, of the same height and general style was added to the east, during the reign of George III, to form three sides of a square. Finally, in the Victorian era, the square was filled in with a slightly lower 'castellated' central portion and sham turrets.

N Tranter 1963

Braco Castle: as described by Tranter.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 16 May 1967.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions