Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Eigg, Cleadale, St Donnan's Roman Catholic Church, Presbytery

Presbytery (20th Century)

Site Name Eigg, Cleadale, St Donnan's Roman Catholic Church, Presbytery

Classification Presbytery (20th Century)

Canmore ID 253802

Site Number NM48NE 32.01

NGR NM 47405 88538

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/253802

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Small Isles
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

Site Management (12 October 1998)

Rectangular-plan harled church with a lower gabled chancel and half-piended vestry at right angles. The slate roof features terracotta ridge tiles. Battered buttresses divide the 4 bays of the nave. Windows are pointed, with a bipartite window cradling an oculus at the chancel return and a cinquefoil window in the outer gablehead. The shoulder-arched entrance features 2-leaf boarded doors surmounted by a large pointed recess and multifoil window. Small windows flank. A plain gabled bellcote sits between the nave and crossing, whilst cross finials top the entrance gable and chancel. The presbytery features a gabled bay to the centre with a projecting gabled porch surmounted by 2 windows. A canted window flanks to the right at ground floor level, with a single window to the left. Gabled dormers sit above. The presbytery is linked to the church at the right return.

Activities

Publication Account (2002)

Cleadale House was constructed in the late 18th century by Angus MacDonald of Laig. Originally intended for his sister, its first inhabitant was Neil Mackay, a famous fiddler, who exchanged houses with the parish priest and moved across the island to Sandavore. The house then served as both presbytery and church. A new church was begun in 1910 on a new site a little way to east, though it was still under construction in 1913. The old house was then demolished and a new presbytery was built adjacent to the church. The new house is built of harled rubble, most probably using stones robbed from its predecessor. No architect has been discovered yet for either of the buildings: the involvement of the Marquis of Bute has been suggested, though there appears to be no real evidence of this. In 1913, Robert Thomson, proprietor of the island, bequeathed a pair of silver candlesticks and a Spanish oil painting depicting the descent of Christ to the church.

Information from 'RCAHMS Excursion Guide 2002: Commissioners' field excursion, The Small Isles, 23-26 September 2002'.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions