Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dornie, St Duthuc's Roman Catholic Chapel, Presbytery

Presbytery (19th Century)

Site Name Dornie, St Duthuc's Roman Catholic Chapel, Presbytery

Classification Presbytery (19th Century)

Canmore ID 253020

Site Number NG82NE 28.01

NGR NG 88435 26785

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/253020

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kintail
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Skye And Lochalsh
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Recording Your Heritage Online

Dornie's principal feature today is long, onesided Francis Street (c.1800 and later), neatly strung out to catch the sun across the Loch. The plain, whitewashed or brightly coloured houses are very much in the Telford idiom. Mission Church (now church hall) on Carr Brae, Ross & Macbeth, 1889, a spireletted twin of the Free Church at Stromeferry. St. Duthuc's Church (RC) and Presbytery, Joseph Hansom, 1871, well-grouped but somewhat gloomycoloured complex with simple gothic detail, built with funds from the Duchess of Leeds. In William Street, Robert Hurd & Prtnrs' housing association development of 1983 demonstrates this firm's understanding of West Highland housing traditions. Their crescent of harled and slated houses complements the earlier group on the left with all too rare sensitivity.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions