Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

South Sutor, Coast Battery, Huts

Hut(S) (Second World War), Hut(S) (First World War)

Site Name South Sutor, Coast Battery, Huts

Classification Hut(S) (Second World War), Hut(S) (First World War)

Alternative Name(s) Cromarty Defences; Fort South Sutor; Site No. 4

Canmore ID 252687

Site Number NH86NW 11.12

NGR NH 8097 6700

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/252687

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Cromarty
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH86NW 11.12 80971 67002

A group of huts in varying stages of decay situated to the N and S of the access track within the fence.

The huts are visible on RAF vertical air photographs (106G/UK/751, 6035-6037, flown 31 August 1945).

Visited by RCAHMS (DE, SW), August 2000

Activities

Note (24 July 2013)

In 1913 the South Sutor Battery (site no. 4) was designed to accommodate all the men and officers on the site, with living quarters, cook house and canteen, latrines, stores, workshop, sergeants office, water tank and a dry earth and coal store as shown on a final construction plan of the site (The National Archives WO 78/5192).

When the battery was rebuilt in advance of the Second World War, all the huts were demolished. Accommodation for men and officers was now located off site at a new camp towards Cromarty (see NH86NW 11.02). According to a sketch plan of the battery by W Purdy dated 27 Sept 1943, only a latrine block appears to remain from the 1913 build (other than the gun emplacement and Fire Commander post). The new buildings were a guard room at the main gate, with a Dining Room and Cooks house beside it and a sergeants mess to the south. The officers mess and toilet block lay to the NW of the engine house. A large training hut occupied the site of the former NCO and men’s quarters. Between the reservoir and the BOP, there were six buildings/structures, an office block for the OC, BSM, Battery Office and R.C.S, a fuel dump, an Artificers' workshop, a reserve hut, a quiet room and an R.C.S hut.

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 24 July 2013.

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions