Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kirkwall, Town Cross

Market Cross (17th Century)

Site Name Kirkwall, Town Cross

Classification Market Cross (17th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Kirkwall, Mercat Cross

Canmore ID 2523

Site Number HY41SW 15

NGR HY 4489 1089

NGR Description HY 4489 1089 and HY 4494 1087

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/2523

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Orkney Islands
  • Parish Kirkwall And St Ola
  • Former Region Orkney Islands Area
  • Former District Orkney
  • Former County Orkney

Archaeology Notes

HY41SW 15 4489 1089 and 4494 1087.

(HY 4487 1089) Cross (NR)

OS 25" map, Orkney, 1st ed.,(1881).

'Town Cross - This cross now stands on the high ground at the E. end of Broad St., almost opposite the W. gable of the Cathedral, but the original site was near the foot of the Strynd. (B H Hossack 1900) Its N. face bears the date 1621.'

RCAHMS 1946.

The cross shaft and head are now preserved inside St Magnus Cathedral, against the east wall of the north transept. A replica has been erected on the original base, at HY 4489 1089, which is in situ.

Resurveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (NKB) 5 April 1964.

Activities

Field Visit (8 July 1929)

No. 421 Town Cross

This cross now stands on the high ground at the E side of Broad Street, almost opposite the W gable of the Cathedral, but the original site was near the foot of the Strynd (Hossack 1900, 287). The shaft of red freestone rises from a base of three steps, and all the arrises are chamfered. The cross-head has expanded arms, with a fleur-de-lys carved at each end, but the upper limb is parallel-sided. Its N face bears the date 1621, and it is therefore contemporary with Bishop Graham.

Visited by RCAHMS 8 July 1929

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions