Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Macmerry Airfield

Chapel (20th Century), Cinema (20th Century), Gymnasium (20th Century)

Site Name Macmerry Airfield

Classification Chapel (20th Century), Cinema (20th Century), Gymnasium (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Penston

Canmore ID 251858

Site Number NT47SW 46.04

NGR NT 44687 72535

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/251858

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Gladsmuir
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT47SW 46.04 44687 72535

What may have been the cinema for the accommodation camp at Penston still stands to the NE of the surviving buildings of the camp (NT47SW 46.03). The building stands immediately E of the area formerly occupied by the WAAF accommodation camp, which has since been demolished. The camps are is visible on wartime vertical air photographs (RAF NLA 68, 3063-3064, flown 27 August 1943).

Information from RCAHMS (DE), November 2003

Following a site visit this brick and concrete building has been confirmed as the station gymnasium and cinema. It is built to a standard design for recreation purposes and includes, at the NW end, an extension for use as a church/chapel.

The projection room with entrance, which was a later modification to the original desgn, is at the SE end and the dressing rooms are arranged along the NE side of the building.

It is presently in use for the storage of farm machinery and straw bales.

Visited by RCAHMS (DE), March 2004

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions