Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Macmerry Airfield

Building(S) (20th Century)

Site Name Macmerry Airfield

Classification Building(S) (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Penston

Canmore ID 251857

Site Number NT47SW 46.03

NGR NT 4445 7240

NGR Description Centred NT 4445 7240

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/251857

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Gladsmuir
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT47SW 46.03 4445 7240

A group of brick built buildings which once comprised the RAF Site No.2 (Communal) survive to the E of the public road at Penston. Some of this group are without roofing, whilst others are being used for agricutural purposes.

The buildings were built during 1942 as part of an expansion programme to allow greater usage of the airfield at that time. Part of the area taken was formerly used as a First World War landing ground. The camp is is visible on wartime vertical air photographs (RAF NLA 68, 3063-3064, flown 27 August 1943).

Information from RCAHMS (DE), November 2003

A visit to the accommmodation and recreation site noted a small Guard House at NT 44408 72317.

Visited by RCAHMS (DE), March 2004

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions