Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).


Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Auchtarsin

Classification Township (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 25100

Site Number NN75NW 8

NGR NN 7125 5995

NGR Description Centred on NN 7125 5995

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Fortingall
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN75NW 8 centred on 7125 5995

'Auchtarsin', an area of depopulation, centred on NN 7125 5995, shown as occupied in 1862 (OS 6" map, 1867). It extends along both sides of an old track (which appears to be of a later date but which is published on the 1st edition 6") and comprises the turf-covered stone foundations of at least twenty rectangular buildings, varying in size from 13.0m x

5.0m to 6.0m x 4.0m, with walls up to 0.6m high. The date of depopulation could not be ascertained.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 27 June 1969

Fifteen roofed buildings, two of which are long buildings and one is T-shaped, two partially roofed buildings, three unroofed buildings, one of which is L-shaped, and six enclosures are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Perthshire 1867, sheet xxviii). Most of the buildings are arranged in two rows on either side of a road.

Four unroofed buildings are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1977).

Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 3 October 1997


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions