Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, West Princes Street Gardens, Floral Clock

Garden Ornament (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, West Princes Street Gardens, Floral Clock

Classification Garden Ornament (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 250001

Site Number NT27SE 5220

NGR NT 25335 73836

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/250001

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

The Princes Street Garden floral clock celebrated its centenary in 2003.

The clock has a circumference of 36ft and width of almost 12ft, with the hands measuring approx. 11ft and 5ft in length. When full of plants the hands can weigh approx 80lbs and 50lbs each.

Created in 1903 by the then Parks Superintendent, a Mr McHattie, for that year it had only one hand. The original clock motor that came from a turret clock in Elie, Fife is still in place in the plinth of the statue of Allan Ramsey, but a more modern motor is now used that still requires daily winding.

The planting of the clock can take three men three weeks, using approximately 24,000 bedding plants, one man is then responsible for its upkeep for the rest of the season.

Information from the Edinburgh Council Parks Dept, 2003.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions